What to Bring
Test takers are advised to bring at least 2 forms of acceptable ID each time they report to a test center.
Personal items other than your ID document(s) are not allowed in the testing room. Any items you choose to bring to the test center may be inspected and/or confiscated.
Learn even more about what to bring on test day.
ETS Confirmation Email
Because you are registered to take an upcoming ETS Program test, we are sending the following information to help you understand what to expect on test day.
To verify your identity during the check-in process, your photo will be taken and you will need to provide a voice sample. This is in addition to presenting valid and acceptable identification.
Below is a copy of the voice sample script that you will be asked to read out loud. The test center administrator will ask you to speak the words into a microphone in your normal tone and volume. At the beginning of the script, you will state your name and the test date.
The voice sample is not part of the test, and it will not affect your score. We are sending the script so you can become familiar with it in advance and be at ease on test day. Please do not bring your own copy to the test center. The test center will give you a copy.
Please plan to arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes before your specified start time.
Test Taker Voice Sample Script
My name is (your full name). Today’s date is (month, day, year).
I have read, understand and agree to the policies, procedures and conditions in the testing program’s bulletin and on the website.
I am the person who will take the test today and whose name appears on the check-in screen.
I will not disclose test content during or after the test.
If, during the test, I recognize that I have had prior access to test questions, I will immediately inform the test center staff.
TOEFL iBT Testing Policies
Checking In at the Test Center
All test centers will require you to do each of the following:
- Show ETS-approved forms of identification that contain your photograph and signature. The name on your ID must exactly match the name you used when you registered for the test.
- Provide handwriting and signature samples.
- Have your photo taken. Your photo will be displayed at your computer station and embedded into your paper score report.
- Testing premises are subject to video surveillance.
- You may be required to remove your eyeglasses for close visual inspection. The inspection takes a few seconds and will be done at check-in and when you return from breaks.
- ETS reserves the right to ensure the security of test content by using electronic detection scanning devices (e.g., handheld metal detectors/wands). Failure to comply will result in your dismissal from the test center, and your test fee will not be refunded.
Some test centers also require any of these:
- ID with electronic chip
- Video monitoring of the testing room during the test
- Biometric voice and photo identification
Learn even more about TOEFL iBT testing policies.